Chad is an attorney in the firm's litigation section, where he regularly represents and defends individuals, businesses, insurers and their insureds in a variety of tort/negligence actions throughout courts across North Carolina. Chad has extensive experience in defending cases involving automobile accidents, premises liability (slip/trip and fall), construction defect, home owner's association (HOA) litigation, and other matters. As part of his insurance practice, Chad represents insurers' interests in UM/UIM claims, coverage analyses, and declaratory judgment actions.
Chad's practice also focuses on the many issues facing multifamily and student-housing providers. Representing landlords, Chad has experience in prosecuting residential evictions, as well as providing lease, addenda, and document drafting; assistance in the resolution of tenant disputes; and, guidance on compliance with Fair Housing and other federal and state regulations impacting landlords.
A portion of Chad's representative experience includes:
- Defending insurers and their insureds in various tort actions (first and third-party claims) throughout multiple venues in North Carolina
- Advising insurers on first-party coverage interpretation, including UM/UIM issues
- Drafting lease agreements, addenda, vendor contracts/service agreements, and other contracts for numerous multifamily housing communities in Raleigh, Greensboro, and Wilmington, North Carolina
- Regularly advising and representing Class A, Class B, student-housing communities in evictions, tenant dispute resolution, collection matters, and property issues (inlcuding encroachment, trespass, and easement matters)
- Representing and assisting owner-managed and third-party managed properties with federal and state Fair Housing compliance, including reasonable accommodation/modification requests
Prior to law school, Chad adjusted claims and supervised claims representatives for several years with two national, multi-line insurers. In 2014, Chad graduated from Washington & Lee University School of Law where he practiced in the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic representing individuals in controversies with the IRS and the Virginia Department of Taxation. Before joining the firm in the spring of 2017, Chad practiced insurance defense law with a civil litigation firm in Raleigh.
When not in the office, Chad enjoys spending time with his wife and two energetic daughters. As a family, they attend St. Mark's United Methodist Church, enjoy getting lost on new hiking trails, and attempt to gather clams at the coast.
- James Madison University, B.S. Technical & Scientific Communication, 2003
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2014
- All North Carolina State Courts
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association