Chad is an attorney in the firm's litigation section, where he regularly represents and defends individuals, businesses, landlords, insurers and their insureds in a variety of civil actions throughout courts across North Carolina. Chad has extensive experience defending cases involving personal injury, premises liability, construction defect litigation, home owner's association litigation, insurance coverage disputes, and other matters. As part of his insurance practice, Chad represents insurers' interests in UM/UIM claims and declaratory judgment actions, as well as counseling on questions of coverage and policy interpretation.
Chad's practice also focuses on the many issues facing multifamily and student-housing property owners and managers. Solely representing landlords, Chad is experienced in finding expedient, cost-effective solutions to disputes with tenants, up to and including legal action when necessary. Chad frequently counsels landlords on lease interpretation, and the drafting of lease agreements and various addenda to suit a particular asset's needs. Recognizing that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," Chad provides preventive-law services to clients on Fair Housing and other regulations impacting North Carolina landlords.
A portion of Chad's representative experience includes:
- Defending insurers and their insureds (individuals, businesses, general contractors, home/condo/property owners associations) in various first and third-party tort actions throughout multiple venues in North Carolina
- Advising insurers on first-party coverage interpretation, including UM/UIM issues
- Advising and representing Class A/B multifamily and student-housing communities in tenant dispute resolution, summary ejectment and collection matters, property/boundary issues (including encroachment, trespass, and easement matters), and other litigation
- Drafting lease agreements, addenda, vendor contracts/service agreements, and other contracts for numerous multifamily housing communities
- Representing and assisting owner and third-party managed properties with federal and state Fair Housing compliance, including reasonable accommodation/modification requests
Prior to law school, Chad worked for several years with two national, multi-line insurers. In 2014, Chad graduated from Washington & Lee University School of Law where he practiced in the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic representing individuals in controversies with the IRS and the Virginia Department of Taxation. Before joining the firm in the spring of 2017, Chad practiced insurance defense law with a civil litigation firm in Raleigh.
When not in the office, Chad enjoys spending time with his wife and two energetic daughters. As a family, they enjoy attending church, getting lost on new hiking trails, and attempting to gather clams at the coast.
- James Madison University, B.S. Technical & Scientific Communication, 2003
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2014
- All North Carolina State Courts
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association