Jeffrey D. McKinney
Jeff McKinney’s practice covers on a wide range of business law and general corporate matters. Jeff has represented clients through formation, mergers and acquisitions, general corporate governance and compliance, commercial contract negotiations and drafting, intellectual property matters, employments issues, shareholder disputes and other failed business relationships, and an array of litigation matters.
Jeff has advised enterprises ranging from start-ups to middle-market companies to multi-national corporations across a broad range of industries, including technology, health care, manufacturing, advertising, software, and commercial real estate to name a few. Jeff also has experience in taxation and tax controversies, and administrative and regulatory law. Additionally, Jeff has represented numerous North Carolina occupational licensing boards, and has also represented individuals and corporate clients before various state administrative agencies and regulatory bodies.
Jeff’s representative experience includes:
- Represented various companies in a range of industries in asset sales, stock sales and other mergers and acquisitions
- Helped negotiate and structure a wide array of profitable and tax-efficient commercial transactions, business relationships, and ownership arrangements
- Represented clients in tax controversies involving the North Carolina Department of Revenue, the Internal Revenue Service, the North Carolina Department of Commerce, Division of Employment Security, and the North Carolina Property Tax Commission
- Counseled clients, including corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships, through complex corporate governance matters, ownership disputes, deadlock resolution issues, and other similar conflicts
- Represented minority interest owners in situations involving breach of fiduciary duties, self-dealing, fraudulent and unlawful conduct, unfair advantage, minority oppression, and squeeze-outs
- Successfully defended real estate client before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit against claims of fraud, negligent misrepresentation, civil conspiracy, violation of North Carolina’s Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act, violation of the North Carolina Securities Act, and violation of the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act
- Represented numerous professional organizations through formation, asset sales, stock and other ownership interest sales, and in numerous compliance issues with North Carolina licensing boards as well as federal laws and regulations
- Advised multi-national corporation on issues of data collection and privacy, including compliance with the Federal Trade Commission Act, the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and the Communications Act of 1934
Jeff graduated from Wake Forest University where he attended as John Thomas Byrum Scholar and served as a staff member on the Intellectual Property Law Journal. Mr. McKinney did his undergraduate studies at Davidson College where he received a Bachelor of Arts in English.
Jeff is currently a member of the Wake County Bar Association, the North Carolina Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Jeff is licensed in all North Carolina State Courts, the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Davidson College, B.A., English, 2006
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., John Thomas Byrum Scholar, 2009
- All North Carolina State Courts
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association